Friday, March 16, 2007

A Spectre Haunting Europe

What's a picklock compared to a share certificate?
What's robbing a bank compared to founding a bank?

- Bertolt Brecht, "Happy End" (1929)

Well, I now have an ISA, which I think makes me officially bourgeois. On the other hand, I was kind of born like that. Either way, Trotsky wouldn't be too pleased with me.

On a not-completely-unrelated point, I've recently been looking on ebay for a bust of Marx. I should be getting desk-space in an office next year, and I need something to mark my territory. The interesting thing is that Marx is pretty hard to find, and is much more expensive than either Lenin or Stalin. There's almost certainly an incredibly clever joke about the market in there, but I'll be blowed if I can put it together.

The question is, what will people think the meaning of a bust of Marx is when they see it? Am I referring to myself as a Marxist, and if so, what does that mean? I agree with large chunks of the Marxist critique of Capitalism, but generally disagree with the preposed solutions. I like the democratic process, for a start, and I'm not a utopian, so I don't think you'll ever achieve a perfectly equal society. But that doesn't mean I can't believe in a more equitable distribution of wealth, and be somewhat doubtful that Free-Market Capitalism is going to deliver a good standard of living on a global scale.

Of course, there's a good 150 years of evolving Marxist thought, some of which is more in line with my way of thinking. I've got a lot of reading still to do. I suppose the bust of Marx would be similar to a psychologist having a bust of Freud - it's recognition that he started something important, rather than complete agreement with everything he said. You can't rely on people to magically realise that, though.

5 comments:

TM said...

The best reply, when questioned, will probably be the oft-cited "Je suis Marxiste, tendence Groucho."

Stephen said...

Pah! The Grouchoites are Bourgeois and Reactionary. Only the Harpoist International is a truly Revolutionary Party.

Anonymous said...

.... imagining Stephen in his office with a bust of Marx with a sign under it which says "It's recognition that he started something important, rather than complete agreement with everything he said. Right?"

Stephen said...

That would, of course, be the most logical option.

Anonymous said...

Steve, I think you should just put it there and let anyone guess! And if you find a cheap supplier of these busts, let me know...

(P.S.: I think many psychologists would take exception to your characterisation of Freud, because they hate him with a vengeance. Which goes to show that they are idiots, of course.)

Happy Easter! Timo