Monday, June 12, 2006

Back Home

So, did we all enjoy the first weekend of the World Cup? My main enjoyment came from not having to apologise to my friends in Frankfurt for the England fans destroying the town center. Hopefully that'll continue.

As far as the football has gone, I'm very, very afraid of Argentina. They're certainly the first team to look capable of winning it. Germany seemed a bit too excited about scoring four against Costa Rica. Perhaps they were trying to blot out the memory of conceding two to Paulo Wanchope, a man famous to Premiership fans for playing like his legs belong to someone else, and have just been sown on to his hips.

England managed to provide the most boring match of the finals so far. This was doubtless part of Sven's master plan. Why else would he have taken off our actual fast striker, and left Peter Crouch on his own, heading the ball at nothing? The man's a genius, I tell you!

Today of course, we get to see Brazil, whom I hate with the fire of thousands of suns. Not for anything to do with them, but for every two-bit Nike-endorsed excitement-whore that they bring out of the woodwork at this point, claiming that thay love football. Face it Brazil, you're the Manchester United of world football, but with worse teeth.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Comments from the World Cup city Frankfurt.

Yes, we were all glad, that England won on Saturday. After I had seen the masses of English fans in town on Friday, and seen the incredibly cheap beer prices, I had feared the worst. But everything turned out perfect. England won, and after also seeing the Swedish match I am so much more confident about the 3rd round.

Right now the Italian fans are celebrating their first victory, by driving around, blowing the horn and screaming like mad.

Anyway, there are also plenty of other nations running around the town, and the atmosphere is just brilliant, with even the weather being perfect (really just in time).

Stephen said...

So far we seem to have been able to keep the trouble-makers at home. Quite literally: there were some fights at the big screens set up in British cities. I suppose I'd rather it happened here rather than in Germany, though.

Frankfurt sounds like fun!

Ramalam said...

Hey dude,
I have been enjoying the World Cup also in sunny, sunny England. I get to meet all kinds of fans in ULU.

I need to speak to you about the Aegean soon (for my MA dissertation), can you email me with an address we can communicate at?

Ram